You set the price!
The very best free tour of Edinburgh, inviting you to discover the best and worst of our historical city.
What will you discover?
Before you see in detail the itinerary of the Free Walking Tour of Edinburgh, we offer you a summary with the main points:
- Royal Mile – Walk the most famous street in Scotland & discover the story of Kings and villains.
- Mercat Cross – Once the hub of Edinburgh, hear the tales of a city of inspiration and genius.
- St Giles’ Cathedral – Compelling history and yet the scene of Edinburgh‘s most famous riot!
- Scottish Writers Museum – Meet the men of genius and villainy who made a city.
- The Ancient Closes – Walk the paths of those who knew Edinburgh better as “Auld Reekie”.
- Edinburgh Castle – The most famous castle in the world. Hear the stories of those who ruled from this awe inspiring fortress.
- The Grassmarket – Where executions in Edinburgh took place, and sometimes didn’t go according to plan!
- Greyfriars Kirkyard – Meet Covenanters, Poltergeists, body snatchers and the world’s most beloved dog, Greyfriars Bobby.
Summary of your free tour of Edinburgh
A gratuity-based FREE Edinburgh city walking tour designed with YOU in mind, and giving you the most detailed, fun and informative tour you can join when visiting Edinburgh. Walk the streets of this fascinating city with an expert guide and hear tales of some of the most famous characters and events from our beautiful city.
Starting from the Royal Mile and St Giles Cathedral, hear the story of the great Scottish Enlightenment, as we venture to Edinburgh Castle, the famous Grassmarket, the shadowy closes which kept Edinburgh‘s greatest secrets and most infamous characters and events in our history, through to Greyfriars Kirkyard with the characters who inspired JK Rowling, and hear the story of our beloved Greyfriars Bobby.
Your expert local guide will tell you stories of the most famous characters and events in our history on this great town tour, from the great to the grim, and will show you the true hidden gems of our magical world, the city of enlightenment.
If you are interested in knowing more details of this tour please read the Full Itinerary section.
What is a FREE tour?
and…why do it?
All you need to know
You set the price!
In this guided tour, you are the protagonist. Depending on your level of satisfaction and budget, at the end of the tour and if you wish, you can tip your guide with what you consider to be fair.
2.5 hours approximately
Departure 11:00 am
- A passionate local tour guide.
- Recommendations for your holidays.
- Food and drink.
- Tips (not mandatory).
How to book
- Online: select the day to check availability, indicate the number of people, follow the steps and complete the reservation free of charge.
- By phone: +44 (0) 131 202 9020
We recommend booking as our groups have a maximum number of people.
- Once the reservation is completed, you will receive the details of the free city tour of Edinburgh in the confirmation email.
- It is not necessary to print the receipt.
- The interior of the attractions are not accessible during the tour.
- Groups of 6+ people should book a private tour of Edinburgh.
- Scotland’s weather can be very unpredictable. We recommend that you bring warm waterproof clothing and comfortable and appropriate shoes.
- The itinerary may vary depending on the guide or for reasons beyond our control, such as bad weather and other reasons beyond our reach.
Free! Cancel or modify your booking for free until one day before the tour.
Our meeting point is 168 High Street, Edinburgh, from where your guide will greet you and give you the tour basics before setting off on this enthralling street tour of Edinburgh at 11.00.
Below, we show you the full itinerary of this incredible tour in more detail.
Hear the tales of the people who founded ‘The Athens of the North‘ and see Mercat Cross, the old Scottish Parliament and St Giles Cathedral and hear tales of geniuses, madmen, the Heart of Midlothain and the most famous riot in Scotland’s history!
Criss-crossing Edinburgh, the shadowy closes are a web of characters and stories often funny, often ghastly and always entertaining. See the Writer’s Museum and hear the tales of Sir Walter Scott, Robert Louis Stevenson and the world’s most famous poet, Robert Burns.
We continue to the impressive walls of Edinburgh Castle, built atop a dormant volcano at the heart of the city. A place of beauty and of battle, containing the secrets of kings, witches, heroes and villains, Edinburgh Castle has gazed down upon the events of this city for a thousand years.
Once the hub of Edinburgh society. Discover the tales of Edinburgh‘s greatest and grimmest inhabitants and hear the story of the executions which didn’t always go according to plan!
Visit the Covenanter’s Prison, the Flodden Wall, the real-life Harry Potter characters, the Mackenzie Poltergeist and finally, Edinburgh‘s most famous – and lovable – resident Greyfriar’s Bobby.
Our meeting point for this Edinburgh free walking tour is in the Royal Mile:
168 High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1QS
In front of the Taste of Scotland shop and next to the 3 red telephone boxes.
Will the FREE tour be cancelled if the weather is bad?
Of course not! As good Scots, sun, snow or rain, we will leave at the set time. If the weather conditions put your safety at risk, in this case, we would cancel the tour.
Is there a maximum number of people I can reserve?
The maximum number for a reservation is 6. For larger groups we recommend booking a private tour.
Cannot find what you are looking for?
Go to our FAQs section.
It is very gratifying for us to read the positive reviews that our clients write after having made our tours. Our staff work with real passion every day so that this gratuity-based free walking tour of Edinburgh is the best you will have.
I’m travelling solo and did a bus tour with NessieHunters on my second day in the city. Our guide, Joe, was hilarious, and very informative. This was also a great way for me to make friends in a new city! My favourite part was touring Calton Hill, which you take a 30 minute recess from the bus to climb and take pictures. I might not have done it otherwise so I’m very grateful for the experience! Thanks, Joe and co.
We just went out from the hotel to grab some ice cream in the Royal Mile then we came across to this free tour bus and decided to hop on! Well it was worth it! I love the tales of mysteries in Edinburgh and plus points also for the tourguide, Joe! He got a great of sense of humor and good-looking as well.
Free bus tour of Edinburgh is brilliant. Very, very well worth doing. Joe the tourguide was excellent, interesting and very knowledgable. Every trip to Edinburgh should include this bus tour!
Our tour guide was fantastic, he explained us all really good he was so calm. Time just went so fast
4 Reasons to travel with #nessiehunters
We aim to give you great adventures and unforgettable moments.
Visit the beautiful hidden gems of Scotland.
Stories and Legends
Wonderful stories of love, terror and mystery.
The best price
A tour of superior quality at a price you can only dream of.